The Motor vehicle Department at the Assam Secretariat is headed by the commissioner and Secretary to the Govt. of Assam. This Department also has one secretary to the Govt. of Assam, one additional Secretary, one joint Secretary, one Deputy Secretary .
Powers, Functions and Duties
The Commissioner of Transport, Assam is vested with the following functions and activities:
- Inspection of Motor Vehicle for Registration & Fitness certificate purpose.
- Issue of Road Permits for Truck, buses, taxies, Auto- Rickshaw etc.
- Issue of National Permit to Good Carries.
- Collection of M.V Tax/ Fees / Compounding Fine etc.
- Conduct of Learner’s Licence Test
- Conduct of Driving Test (Transport/ Non-Transport
- Issuance of International Driving Permit.
- Issuance of Agent License for Goods & Passenger Vehicle
- Issuance of License for Auto Emission Testing Station (A.E.T.S)
- 10Issuance of License for Truck Parking Complex
- Issuance of Conductor’s Licence
- Issuance of Trade Certificate & Trade Licence for Motor Vehicle Dealer & Service Center, checking of motor vehicle for detection of illegal plying , registration of offence and compounding of cases.
- Checking of Motor Vehicle on roads
- Inspection of Accidental Vehicle